What Are Fibroids?
What are uterine fibroids?
Fibroids are benign growths (non-cancerous) in or around the uterus. Fibroids can range in size from a grape to a grapefruit and may cause uncomfortable symptoms, including heavy menstrual bleeding and painful periods. These symptoms may worsen over time if the fibroids are left untreated.
Fibroids are common.
- In the US, around 70% of white women and more than 80% of black women will have uterine fibroids before the age of 50 2,3
- Each year in the US, more than 2 million women undergo treatment for uterine fibroids3
- 20%-50% of women with fibroids have symptoms4
- 62% of women will experience more than one symptom5
Women with fibroids may experience one or more of the following symptoms:4
- Heavy periods (heavy menstrual bleeding)
- Pressure or swelling in the abdomen
- Painful periods (dysmenorrhea)
- Urinating more often than usual
- Painful sex
1 Farquhar CM, et al. Obstet Gynecol. 2002;99:229-234
2 Baird DD, et al. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003;188:100-107
3Medtech Insight, January 2005
4 Stovall DW., Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2001;44:364 – 71
5 Olufowobi O, Sharif K, Papaionnou S, et al., J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004;24:434–4040